|location||"Dirty Canada", Michigan|
Career & JoyRide Entertainment Edit
LeRoy started out in the abridging community in 2013 as a voice actor for two projects, Avengers Abridged and Legend of Korra Abridged. Following their cancellation due to copyright claims, LeRoy developed his own series Hajime No Ippo: the Abridging!
In the summer of 2016, LeRoy partnered with MorningRamen to participate in the Team Four Star event: #TIBA, placing 13th overall with the one-shot Abridged Eleven GO, where it was praised for LeRoy's direction and characterization.
In late 2016 he founded the JoyRide Entertainment channel, which serves as both LeRoy's personal channel and team name for his frequent collaborators CharlestonVO and DoktorApplejuce. The channel picked up My Hero Abridged as it's ongoing flagship series (originally helmed by LeRoy alone). However, the channel's first major collaboration came in the form of Yuri Road, co-written by Bellwarrior from the CharlestonVO channel, followed by a sequel Yuri Harder, the following year.
LeRoy has also served as a script doctor (usually uncredited) and producer for several other abridgers.
The "LeRoy Method" Edit
There are an abundance of unique features found in LeRoy's work, primarily his localization of the original source material, often making dramatic changes to the setting, names and even genders of his characters. Additionally, he implements a form of lip-flapping in which custom frames of facial expressions (for example, "tah", "oh" and "muh" mouth frames and anatomically correct movement of the eyes) are drawn in for close-ups on speaking characters. The filmmaking practice of letterboxing, in which black bars appear at the top and bottom of the screen, give his work a widescreen aspect ratio. It has been surmised that this is used as both a means to avoid copyright and as an aesthetic attributed to moments of drama which are abundant in his work. These features make LeRoy's parodies resemble western animation and cinema.
The most noteworthy feature of LeRoy's work, however, is his writing. LeRoy often forgoes comedy in the pursuit of darker narratives and twists on the source material. Common themes and motifs can be found throughout his work, such as making heroes the villains of his series and even going as so far as to killing off protagonists (as seen in My Hero Abridged). He is most lauded for his deep characterizations and dialogue, often building a deep mythos for each character and establishing different relationships between them from what can be found in the original source material.
Notable Projects Edit
- Hajime No Ippo: the Abridging! - Writer
- The Abridged Eleven (GO) - Writer, Director, Editor
- Naruto Abridged [by Morning Ramen] - Graphic Editor
- Yuri Road, Yuri Harder - Director, Co-Writer, Editor
- Akame ga Kill! Abridged! [by Schmuck Squad] - Graphic Editor (Episode 4)
- Morioh Gang [by SaltydkDan] - Producer, Script Editor
- My Hero Abridged - Writer, Director, Editor
- ABLO Presents: Burning Bridges with Ivan LeRoy - Host
Notable Voice Work Edit
- Avengers Abridged - Rocket Raccoon, Ultron
- Legend of Korra Abridged - Varrick
- Hajime No Ippo: the Abridging! - Takamura, Aoki
- The Abridged Eleven (GO) - Coach Commander, Jack Rabbit
- Naruto Abridged [by Morning Ramen] - Rock Lee
- Sword Art Online Abridged [by Something Witty Entertainment] - Addl. Voices
- Clannad Abridged [by MewVenus] - Sunohara
- Fake/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works) [by DoktorApplejuce Abridged] - Shinji Matou
- LeRoy is a former improv artist and stand up comic, with the surname "LeRoy" not being his real last name, but instead a nom de plume for the fictionalized and exaggerated persona he plays, akin to the character of Stephen Colbert.
- Ivan has competed at the pro-amatuer level for boxing and tennis, and national level for field hockey. Explaining why his early parody work is almost exclusively sports-related series.